- Zack Wheeler Undergoes Tommy John SurgeryPosted 1 week ago
- How Long is the Leash for Travis D’arnaud?Posted 1 week ago
- Rashad Jennings Visits Mets CampPosted 1 week ago
- Nine Innings with Jim CallisPosted 1 week ago
- Video: Michael Cuddyer Launches Homer to CenterPosted 2 weeks ago
- Daily Stache Featured on Cards ConclavePosted 2 weeks ago
- Nine Innings with Mike PumaPosted 2 weeks ago
- Reacting to Zack Wheeler’s Season-Ending InjuryPosted 2 weeks ago
- Stay Calm And Get Tommy John SurgeryPosted 2 weeks ago
- Are Jon Niese or Steven Matz Options for the Pen?Posted 3 weeks ago
Are the Mets Lacking in Depth?
- Updated: February 19, 2013
Anything can happen in sports, and it’s hard to prepare for the unpredictable, but the Mets are vulnerable, not only in their thin outfield, but at other positions as well. Let’s take a closer look.
3B: David Wright
Wright is obviously the backbone of the Mets’ clubhouse. He’s the longest tenured player, and the Mets showed a commitment to him by locking him up to a long-term deal. But, if he were to get hurt, there’s no much behind him. Sure, Justin Turner could fill in or maybe Zach Lutz could be called up, but there aren’t many options if a long-term fix is needed.
SS: Ruben Tejada
Another guy who is solidified as a major part of the Mets’ future. He showed much more skills at the plate last year than anyone could have expected, and his defense will only improve. Behind him? Turner fits here as well, as does the returning Omar Quintanilla. As for the minors, Wilmer Flores may not be ready should such a situation arise.
1B: Ike Davis
Remember when David and Wright collided? Also, do you remember how Davis had Valley Fever? Whether you want to admit it or not, there are risks associated with the Mets’ bopper, and if he were to go down, who’s left? Daniel Murphy has experience at first, but that creates a hole at second. Justin Turner could fill in some there as well. Beyond that? Your guess is as good as mine.
What do you think about the Mets’ depth? Tell us in the comments section below.