- Woe is UsPosted 3 days ago
- Ruben Tejada Ditches Autograph SigningPosted 3 days ago
- Mets Need Jacob deGrom to Keep Being Jacob deGromPosted 4 days ago
- Mets Sign Two International ShortstopsPosted 4 days ago
- Bobby Bonilla and the Hall of FamePosted 5 days ago
- Cuddyer Needs to Swing More at First PitchesPosted 5 days ago
- Jim Breuer on Matz: Haven’t Been This Excited Since Strawberry’s DebutPosted 5 days ago
- Jeurys Familia is the Mets Team MVPPosted 5 days ago
- Matt Harvey Continues to Make HistoryPosted 1 week ago
- Jon Niese: The Neglected LeftyPosted 1 week ago
Are the Mets Lacking in Depth?
- Updated: February 19, 2013
Anything can happen in sports, and it’s hard to prepare for the unpredictable, but the Mets are vulnerable, not only in their thin outfield, but at other positions as well. Let’s take a closer look.
3B: David Wright
Wright is obviously the backbone of the Mets’ clubhouse. He’s the longest tenured player, and the Mets showed a commitment to him by locking him up to a long-term deal. But, if he were to get hurt, there’s no much behind him. Sure, Justin Turner could fill in or maybe Zach Lutz could be called up, but there aren’t many options if a long-term fix is needed.
SS: Ruben Tejada
Another guy who is solidified as a major part of the Mets’ future. He showed much more skills at the plate last year than anyone could have expected, and his defense will only improve. Behind him? Turner fits here as well, as does the returning Omar Quintanilla. As for the minors, Wilmer Flores may not be ready should such a situation arise.
1B: Ike Davis
Remember when David and Wright collided? Also, do you remember how Davis had Valley Fever? Whether you want to admit it or not, there are risks associated with the Mets’ bopper, and if he were to go down, who’s left? Daniel Murphy has experience at first, but that creates a hole at second. Justin Turner could fill in some there as well. Beyond that? Your guess is as good as mine.
What do you think about the Mets’ depth? Tell us in the comments section below.