By: Michael Ganci

Gary Cohen Doesn’t Want Mets to Re-Sign Daniel Murphy

on

There are several pros and cons to the idea of bringing Daniel Murphy back to Queens, but Mets play-by-play voice for SNY Gary Cohen has already made his decision regarding his feelings towards bringing Murphy back on a new contract next season, as heard this morning with Joe and Evan on WFAN.

I am torn on this. While Murphy might be the best pure hitter the Mets have, his mental mistakes have often cost the team dearly. His defense leaves much to be desired and he offers little in the speed category. But, he can mash the ball and he’s clutch, which is hard to come by for the Mets.

I tend to agree with Cohen, for the most part. Take Murphy and Colon off the books, try to re-sign Cespedes, and if that doesn’t work, there’s plenty of money available for a contingency plan.

Do you want the Mets to re-sign Daniel Murphy? Tell us in the comments section below.

About Michael Ganci

Michael Ganci is the Co-Founder of the Daily Stache, along with Matthew Falkenbury. Since 2008, Ganci has eat, drank and dreamt all things Mets, and he'd have it no other way. Feel free to follow him on Twitter at @DailyStache.

Recommended for you

15 Comments

1. Janet

October 14, 2015 at 2:09 pm

If you want to get rid of somebody, get rid of cuddy and Lagaras, but no0t Murphy

2. Jerry

October 14, 2015 at 2:17 pm

Cerrone says poll of Mets fans in Sept. 73% wanted Murphy signed for 3 yr deal 8 thousand voted.I agree

• doug poswencyk

October 14, 2015 at 2:33 pm

I love Daniel because he always give 100%, is a decent hitter with some power, hits a lot of doubles, leads the majors in the fewest strikeouts and is clutch. However, he hardly ever walks, is a very shaky fielder being one of the worst second basemen in the league at turning the double play and is a total blockhead being the owner of many base running and throwing mistakes. He can win a game for you with a homer or lose it with some blockhead play. At the very least, Daniel makes the game interesting and I would really hate to see him go but I think the team is better off by going with Dilson Herrara who has the potential to be an all star and Wilmur Flores who is also a questionable fielder and never walks.

3. Marie Smedberg

October 14, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Murph may not be the best fielder, but he, along with David Wright, is the heart of this team. Your can’t replace that overnight.

• Mary Veit

October 15, 2015 at 12:25 pm

I agree

4. imc

October 14, 2015 at 2:57 pm

The focus should be on tomorrow’s game and nothing else.

5. Mike

October 14, 2015 at 3:20 pm

I’ve always been a big fan of Daniel Murphy, and have enjoyed his growth as a baseball player these past several seasons. He’s an intelligent hitter, and his fielding has improved considerably. Given the economics of the game, what he would be looking for as a free agent in terms of years and dollars, and that the Mets have Wilmer Flores and Dilson Herrerra here and on the horizon, I’m afraid that Murphy’s future will be elsewhere.

6. Nick

October 14, 2015 at 5:39 pm

Without any context, I’m sure Gary was looking at the roster as a whole vs budget. There are long-term priorities ahead of bringing Murph back. Nothing personal. LGM!

7. Toni

October 15, 2015 at 5:41 am

I love Murphy!!! He is always hitting I know he made mistakes but he saved a lot too.

8. Mary Veit

October 15, 2015 at 8:54 am

I loved Gary Carter & he was not fast! He is needed for the runs & let the team back him up when he is up!

9. Lou

October 15, 2015 at 9:21 am

I am just worrying about tonights game. We will focus on a contract for Murphy during the off season. I am sure he will being playing baseball for somebody next season. Hey if the Franchise got traded what’s the big deal if the mets don’t gave Murphy a new contract.

10. Jackie

October 15, 2015 at 9:38 am

Honestly, I’m not sold on Cespedes. Yes, his bat helped us get to the post, but he seems like a very streaky hitter. Murph, on the other hand, is a pure hitter. He has defensive issues, but makes up for them offensively. Also, I don’t know that Cespedes is a team leader. He is young, though, so his leadership skills may emerge. It’s a tough decision. My heart says re-sign him, but I know there are financial considerations that must be taken into account. I suppose if I had to make the choice my head says “Cespedes”, but my heart says, “Murph”.

11. Zep

October 15, 2015 at 11:53 pm

Where else will you find a guy that plays three infield positions (ok, no gold glove), who hits .300 with extra base power, who’s completely selfless, and isn’t looking to break the bank?

• Martin

December 10, 2015 at 11:34 am

i guess being a clutch hitter in the playoffs doesn’t count and mvp

12. Vin

June 30, 2016 at 11:45 pm

Well Gary Cohen and all the nay sayers how you feel now after Daniel Murphy embarrassed the Mets so far this year with over 400 average plus 4 home runs in 10 games played head to head. He was a homegrown mainstay.