By: Stache Staff

Keep, Dump or Unsure: A Look at the Future of the Mets’ Offense

on

I am upset, as a fan, not because the Mets keep on losing, but it seems that they’ve quit on the season.

I listened to the entire Mike Francesa rant from yesterday, and while I usually go out of my way to ignore the guy, he was spot on. This team is becoming an outright joke.

Earlier in the year, I wouldn’t miss an inning, but now, someone couldn’t pay me enough to go to a game. It’s embarrassing. I am using this post to talk about who I think should be back, who should be on the bubble and who should be gone, going one position at a time.

C- Josh Thole

Decision: Bubble

Explanation: Thole has been really disappointing for me this season. We’d be willing to accept the mediocre hitting if he was a defensive whiz, but the fact is, he’s an embarrassment behind the plate. Sure, he’s still young, but I think he’s nothing better than a platoon player at best. The Mets could do better via free agency or giving some youngster a chance from the minor league system, which seems to be depleted at the catcher position.

1B- Ike Davis

Decision:Bring him back

Explanation: Despite having an atrocious season, compared to what we expected, it really has been an interesting year for Davis. Most of it was spent trying to get his average up to and over .200, but when he got his, it usually was of the powerful variety. He’s eclipsed 20 homers, and maybe a better off-season regimen will help with his average. No sense giving up here. Via trade, he just wouldn’t bring enough back to make any kind of deal worth it.

2B- Daniel Murphy

Decision: Bubble

Explanation: While Murphy is one of the best pure hitters on this team, that’s truthfully not saying much. He might be one of the more valuable trading chips, and looking back, I kind of wish the Mets pulled the trigger when the Padres had Luke Gregerson on the table. If the Mets got a reasonable offer, I think they should consider it, because Murphy is a guy who doesn’t have a true position. Another alternative is shifting him to third base in the event that they deal David Wright, but nobody expects the brass to make such a bold move.

3B- David Wright

Decision: Keep

Explanation: Do I really need to explain this one? The team’s offensive MVP will be back when the team either exercises his option or works out a long-term deal. I doubt he’ll be willing to negotiate with management unless he gets a more optimistic feel for the future of the franchise, which is anyone’s guess right now.

SS- Ruben Tejada

Decision: Keep

Explanation: With all of the issues this team’s experienced this year with bullpen problems, people have not talked much about the post-Jose Reyes era, and that’s because Tejada has been exceptional. Much like Matt Cerrone at MetsBlog, I wasn’t sure what to expect for the heir to the shortstop throne, but I have been ecstatic with his development. He works patient at-bats, and he plays an above average shortstop. He ain’t going nowhere.

LF- Jason Bay

Decision:Gone

Explanation: It’s been a struggle since Bay arrived in New York, and I always hoped the switch would turn on after he returned from his numerous trips to the Disabled List. The Mets will probably try everything, including exploring bad contract trades before giving him the boot in the spring, but there’s no way he will step on the field for a regular season game as a Met in 2013.

CF- Andres Torres

Decision:Gone

Explanation: A guy that has tools, but he should be better than he actually is. I never thought I’d miss Angel Pagan after all of the mental lapses last season, but I do. Torres had one good season, and despite allegedly being fired up to prove his critics wrong, he has fallen far short of the hype. He’s very replaceable.

RF- Lucas Duda

Decision: Gone

Explanation: Now, Duda is someone who gets overly emotional and in his own head, although the talent is there…only offensively. If I am management, I explore the trade market and dangle Duda as bait. Somebody would be willing to look at him as part of a package. If nothing makes sense, you could move forward with him as the left fielder, but I think his future is only at first base at the big league level, and we already have Davis there.

Bench- Scott Hairston

Decision:Bubble

Explanation: Let’s think about this realistically. Hairston has played well this year, and early on, he was on an inhuman pace, but I think the Mets should have traded him when they could’ve. Some team may think he should play everyday, pretty much the way the Mets use him now. Unless he’s willing to come back on another one-year deal, he’s probably a goner.

Bench- Jordany Valdespin

Decision: Bubble

Explanation: Another player who has talent, but seems to lack baseball smarts. Nothing beats when MetsBlog’s Meridith Perri referred to as the “Tazmanian Devil” because he always screws himself into the ground. It’s absolutely true. He’s not a true outfielder, and he could be an option at second base if the Mets move Murphy. They can also use him as depth, but he could be a valuable trade piece.

Bench- Mike Nickeas/Rob Johnson

Decision: Gone

Explanation: Unless on minor league deals, move on from the both of them. They’re both replaceable, and I think I can hit better than Nickeas.

Bench- Kelly Shoppach

Decision: Bubble

Explanation: After picking him up for pretty much nothing (Pedro Beato) Shoppach could be a decent platoon guy for next year. He’s got a little bit of pop, but he’s replaceable. He probably thinks he’s still capable of being an everyday catcher, so the Mets might let him walk.

Bench- Ronny Cedeno

Decision: Bubble

Explanation: Cedeno has filled his role well this year, and he’s hit much better than expected. Still, he’s a dime-a-dozen kind of guy that can be picked up on a minor league deal. I’d bring him back for $1 million or so, but not much more than that.

Bench- Justin Turner

Decision: Keep

Explanation: A valuable pinch hitter and spot starter that can play anywhere in the infield, Turner has value. Also, he’s entertaining on Twitter, so I have a soft spot for him. They should bring him back, and there’s even a chance he might be given a serious chance at winning the second base job next spring.

Bench- Mike Baxter

Decision: Keep

Explanation: A great story, Mike from Queens sacrificed himself in the name of Johan Santana’s no-hitter on June 1. He has some nice speed, plays solid defense and can swing the bat. I don’t think he’s an everyday player, but he makes a good bench bat. I’d keep him around.

Stay tuned for my report on the pitching staff in the coming weeks.

About Michael Ganci

Michael Ganci is the Co-Founder of the Daily Stache, along with Matthew Falkenbury. Since 2008, Ganci has eat, drank and dreamt all things Mets, and he'd have it no other way. Feel free to follow him on Twitter at @DailyStache.

Recommended for you

13 Comments

1. Pingback: Daily Stache | Metsblog

2. James Latimer

August 27, 2012 at 2:29 pm

The fact that there are even RUMORS of the Mets not keeping Davis is insane to me.

They barely have any power as it is and they’re going to ship him somewhere? Yes, his average is awful… but I’m sure the White Sox have little problem with Adam Dunn being in their lineup.

3. Ron Davis

August 27, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Manager Terry Bubble
    Warhan Gone Hudgins Gone
    the rest can stay.

4. Dave

August 27, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Good piece and I agree with most of what you wrote. However, Thole has to go. Nice kid and he’s a guy you want to root for, but he just can’t hit. Additionally, while I know your column is about offense, you have a boatload of young pitchers coming up the next two years. The Mets need a a guy who can help guide these young pitchers, and Thole has repeatedly demonstrated that he’s not up to the task.

5. slainte2

August 27, 2012 at 3:03 pm

article is meaningless unless you say what you say what you would look to get back … let wright walk? No. Trade him for right combination? Yes.

6. Christian (@jazzmasters)

August 27, 2012 at 4:31 pm

An embarrassment behind the plate? Um, isn’t he second of all catchers in Defensive Runs Saved?

7. Jim O

August 27, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Thole certainly can hit. Most catchers wear down as the season progresses, so we should expect his stats to decline, but he hit very well in the first half. Let him get stronger, besides there is no one in the system ready to step in, not even close. Napoli would have been interesting, but can he catch everyday? and what’s with the larger drop-off from last year? Who else is worth getting in the F/A market?

8. Steve N

August 27, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Thole’s gotta go. He offers nothing.

Other than this I agree with most you said.

9. Jim O

August 27, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Steve, one of the reasons I think the Mets have struggled to build a consistently powerful team is that fans and media don’t give kids a lot of time to adjust to the majors. It seems to me that it usually takes 3 years or more for most players to figure it out consistently. Of course, super talents often do better, but how many of those are there. There were lots of people saying Tejada would never be more than a bench player because he couldn’t hit. He was inconsistent, but between the slumps hit quite well. Now we’re seeing that patience paying off. I think it’s worth giving Thole the same opportunity. I’d say the same for Duda.

10. mrcarno

August 27, 2012 at 9:40 pm

I cannot believe that Wright is seeing any kind of criticism….. WHO IS IN THE LINEUP with him??? No one…. Every big league team has more than ONE power hitter or went and got one – The Dodgers. The Angels added Pujols. Yankees always get someone extra. SO does Boston. The Tigers got Fielder. The Phillies too as did the Marlins and Texas. What have the Mets done? NOTHING!!! In 2006 and 07 they had Reyes and Wright and Floyd and Beltran and Delgado – THEY DO NOT HAVE anyone who hits like them with Wright now and he gets criticized? He has been pitched around since June. I AM SICK OF THE WILPONS. SICK OF THE WILPONS and SICK OF THE WILPONS….. How dare they do this to us? If you cant afford the team get rid of it. It is not our fault you caved to pressure to sign Castillo and Perez and Bay. You hired an idiot from the Expos and Nationals in Minaya who spent at will and spent poorly and NOW THEY ARE GUARDED? What a disgrace !!!!!!!!!! PLEASE SELL THE TEAM……. please

11. steve g

August 27, 2012 at 11:43 pm

My opinions are mostly in agreement. A couple of disagreements…Thole will be with the team, but at 26 years old,I don’t think he’s #1 catcher material. Lucas Duda is too uncertain on his talent to draw much trade interest, his power potential is interesting but when he loses his confidence,boy his game drives right off a cliff. And I think Ronny Cedeno is a good guy for the bench. I think he would be a solid backup at 2b/3b/ss over Turner and Murphy with a couple of prospects could be a decent deal to bring in a decent 2b or outfielder. Parnell and Ramon Ramirez I would give another try. If Byrdak is healthy,OK…dump the rest of ’em

12. Bobby C

August 28, 2012 at 12:06 am

Good heavens – Thole, Murphy, Duda, and Turner don’t even COMBINE to make a decent everyday MLB player. The Mets have to stop kidding themselves about their “prospects”; these guys weren’t even touted in Baseball America before they came up to the bigs. Just because a player isyoung doesn’t mean he has potential, and these stiffs have been given more than enough chances – it’s time to move on. Way past that time, actually.

13. mrcarno

August 28, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I am sick of Murphy and his singles. He would be a good DH in the American League. He MAY bring back something in return….. Maybe Davis too because he has shown potential- but only if we get something really good in return…. if we have a good alternative that we sign as a free agent – yeah right