- Woe is UsPosted 3 days ago
- Ruben Tejada Ditches Autograph SigningPosted 3 days ago
- Mets Need Jacob deGrom to Keep Being Jacob deGromPosted 3 days ago
- Mets Sign Two International ShortstopsPosted 3 days ago
- Bobby Bonilla and the Hall of FamePosted 4 days ago
- Cuddyer Needs to Swing More at First PitchesPosted 5 days ago
- Jim Breuer on Matz: Haven’t Been This Excited Since Strawberry’s DebutPosted 5 days ago
- Jeurys Familia is the Mets Team MVPPosted 5 days ago
- Matt Harvey Continues to Make HistoryPosted 1 week ago
- Jon Niese: The Neglected LeftyPosted 1 week ago
Mike Piazza and the Sept. 11 Homer
- Updated: January 9, 2013
“long fly ball, deep centerfield…this one has a chance….HOME RUN! MIKE PIAZZA! AND THE METS LEAD 3-2!” – howie rose, 9/21/01
— Brian Erni (@brianerni) January 9, 2013
Plain and simple — this was the most amazing game I have ever been to.
I hate to say Mike Piazza lifted the fan base on his shoulders with one swing of the bat, but he did. I get chills thinking about it, from performances by Liza Minnelli and Diana Ross to a huge “Rudy!” chant at New York City’s Mayor.
There wasn’t a dry eye in the place during “God Bless America” and, although I was only 14, it is a night I will truly never forget.
Just one of many moments that proves that Mike Piazza should enter the Hall of Fame wearing a Mets’ cap.
What is your favorite Mike Piazza moment? Tell us in the comments section below.