- #StacheTailgate Was a Resounding SuccessPosted 3 days ago
- Pedro to Mejia: Consult with Your TrainersPosted 4 days ago
- Jenrry Mejia Suspended 80 Games- What Now?Posted 1 week ago
- Why The Mets Season Will Be An Elevator RidePosted 1 week ago
- Inaugural #StacheTailgate Features Food, Drinks and TriviaPosted 1 week ago
- This Date in Mets History: The Shot Heard ‘Round SheaPosted 1 week ago
- Pedro Martinez: Harvey Should Model Himself After ClemensPosted 1 week ago
- Post-Game Video: Harvey Returns to Dominate NatsPosted 1 week ago
- The Need for SpeedPosted 1 week ago
- Mets Haven’t Explored Signing SorianoPosted 1 week ago
Mike Piazza and the Sept. 11 Homer
- Updated: January 9, 2013
“long fly ball, deep centerfield…this one has a chance….HOME RUN! MIKE PIAZZA! AND THE METS LEAD 3-2!” – howie rose, 9/21/01
— Brian Erni (@brianerni) January 9, 2013
Plain and simple — this was the most amazing game I have ever been to.
I hate to say Mike Piazza lifted the fan base on his shoulders with one swing of the bat, but he did. I get chills thinking about it, from performances by Liza Minnelli and Diana Ross to a huge “Rudy!” chant at New York City’s Mayor.
There wasn’t a dry eye in the place during “God Bless America” and, although I was only 14, it is a night I will truly never forget.
Just one of many moments that proves that Mike Piazza should enter the Hall of Fame wearing a Mets’ cap.
What is your favorite Mike Piazza moment? Tell us in the comments section below.