- Mets Must Become Road WarriorsPosted 9 hours ago
- Impatience at its FinestPosted 12 hours ago
- Baseball is Finally Back in FlushingPosted 14 hours ago
- Instant Recap: Mets Hammer Marlins, Move Into 1st PlacePosted 1 day ago
- Positivity Aplenty on #MetsTwitterPosted 1 day ago
- The Legend That is Wilmer FloresPosted 1 day ago
- Fake Umpires Raise Money for Charity During Mets GamePosted 1 day ago
- Started From the Bottom Now We’re HerePosted 2 days ago
- Mets Rally Behind Duda’s BatPosted 3 days ago
- Cespedes deal calms Panic CityPosted 3 days ago
Mike Piazza and the Sept. 11 Homer
- Updated: January 9, 2013
“long fly ball, deep centerfield…this one has a chance….HOME RUN! MIKE PIAZZA! AND THE METS LEAD 3-2!” – howie rose, 9/21/01
— Brian Erni (@brianerni) January 9, 2013
Plain and simple — this was the most amazing game I have ever been to.
I hate to say Mike Piazza lifted the fan base on his shoulders with one swing of the bat, but he did. I get chills thinking about it, from performances by Liza Minnelli and Diana Ross to a huge “Rudy!” chant at New York City’s Mayor.
There wasn’t a dry eye in the place during “God Bless America” and, although I was only 14, it is a night I will truly never forget.
Just one of many moments that proves that Mike Piazza should enter the Hall of Fame wearing a Mets’ cap.
What is your favorite Mike Piazza moment? Tell us in the comments section below.