Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/34/8703134/html/wp-blog-header.php:96) in /home/content/34/8703134/html/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache/wp-cache-phase2.php on line 62
Would You Accept A Mets Player That Was Gay? - The Daily Stache
doc truyen | tai phim sex
The Daily Stache

Would You Accept A Mets Player That Was Gay?

There is nothing wrong, weird, or any other negative adjective you can think of, with being a homosexual.

It is a lifestyle that over the past twenty years has become more accepted in society, and yet still has roadblocks to it being fully accepted.

After the Super Bowl week, where 49ers cornerback Chris Culliver talked about how a gay teammate would not be welcomed in the locker room, I wondered how I or other Mets fans would react if a Mets player was openly gay.

How would you respond if that player was struggling or succeeding on the field. Would you be more cautious to NY-Post-Piazza-not-gay-back-cover-5.22.02-226x300heckle him if he was doing poorly? Would you not cheer him loudly for fear that rooting for a gay man would be looked on by others as a negative?

I guess, my question, beyond the scope of just the Mets and us fans, is would we be willing to accept and support a player on any of our favorite teams if he was openly gay.

At one point in his Hall of Fame career, Mike Piazza was rumored to have been a homosexual. In what is considered one of the strangest press conferences in Mets history, Piazza told the media he was not Gay.

Mike Piazza is my all-time favorite player. He is the reason I became a Mets fan. If those rumors had been true, and he was gay, I would not care. What he does off the field is not my concern. I only cared about what he did every night for nine innings or more, trying to help the Mets win a ball game.

Of course, other fans did care and the New York Post most certainly cared as they tried to further the story as much as possible. The headline on the back page that was one of the most famous of them all is the picture you see in this article.

In 2013, the gay community has made so many strides to earn equality in our society. The legalization of gay marriage in many states, including New York, being just one part of the many issues the gay community has seen success on over the years.

Sports is something that has deep roots in being considered a “Mainly Man’s” activity. It is for the strongest of the strong, the most gifted of athletes competing for glory and the next opportunity to cash in when the time is right.

Whether it’s football, basketball, hockey or baseball, we have seen men and women perform to the best of their abilities each and every day to be the best they can be and be remembered for what they did on the playing field.

The sexual orientation that they choose or that they are born with, depending on which side of that argument you fall on, should not be any of our concern. It wont affect how they perform, train, work at getting better at what they do and it shouldn’t affect their performance on the field, court, ice or diamond.

If the New York Mets had an openly gay player, he should be treated as any of the other players that have put on the uniform before him or after him.

I would accept him because the Mets organization has accepted him. I would cheer for him if he was doing well and boo him if he was doing poorly.

What he does off the field would not enter my mind for a second when it came to determining what he has done well or not well for the Mets.

But, I’m just one fan. The sense I get, and the reason I think that a player in any major U.S. sport has not come out as gay until after his career was over is because his fear of acceptance in our society.

Jackie Robinson took that step into the spot light for African Americans, Billie Jean King took that step into the spot light for Women. Will we ever see a current athlete in any of the four major sports do the same for gay men? I think one day we will.

At the end of the day, it should not matter if one of the 2013 or beyond players for the New York Mets was gay. But, sadly, it will matter. It will matter to many people and it will change the perception he has among fans in general.

It will matter but will you accept it if a current Mets player was openly gay?

For me, I know I would.

150 Comments

1. AV

February 8, 2013 at 10:09 am

I personally wouldn’t care. As a married straight man with a number of gay friends, I see people as individuals. This goes beyond sexual orientation. I’ve met people that are of my ethnic/racial group that I did not like because of who they are as individuals and I have close friends that some have told me shouldn’t be my friends because they are not “my people” but are good people overall, which is all I care about.

You make a good point about Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier but sometimes we overlook the individual himself. Aside from being a great ballplayer, Robinson was a great human being that exemplified class and could take the taunts and abuse because he was confident that he was better than those people taunting him because he knew who he was.

I suspect part of the reason no active player has come out is because of the stigma associated with masculinity. I think it will change the day a superstar athlete comes out publicly, like if someone wins the World Series, Super Bowl, or NBA Finals MVP and comes out openly upon receiving the award or shortly thereafter. Until someone that is viewed as a “team leader” or superstar comes out, this will remain an issue for all professional team sports.

Just my two cents…

• Tase180

February 8, 2013 at 10:49 am

Very well said, who cares. Gay, straight Bi we are all human being. In a perfect world we all should get along. God bless.

• Frank Besio

February 8, 2013 at 4:00 pm

I agree with you but it all depends on his batting average and or era!

Frank

• AV

February 8, 2013 at 5:09 pm

That was my point. Right or wrong, it requires a superstar to make the issue go away for good. It can’t just be a utility player, backup outfielder, or middle reliever. It has to be someone of the caliber of a Piazza, David Wright, Derek Jeter, Tom Brady, Kobe Bryant or a rising star like Bryce Harper, Mike Trout, RG3, etc. (Please note I’m not outing any of these guys! I am only using their names as examples of the type of star caliber athlete it would take to resolve this issue once and for all.)

2. Joe

February 8, 2013 at 10:13 am

Depends, pitcher or catcher?
    Honestly, I couldn’t care less about any players sex life (as long as it doesn’t affect their on the field performance).

3. Matt

February 8, 2013 at 10:13 am

Of course. Anyone who wouldn’t is a bigot, plain and simple.

4. OlerudsHelmet

February 8, 2013 at 10:13 am

Nobody cares.

• Bob Bailor

February 8, 2013 at 10:18 am

Problem is, the media will make it an issue constantly. In an era where they scrutinize every detail, eventually it will be brought up as a distraction.

• Thomas Wood

February 8, 2013 at 11:16 am

That is exactly the problem. You’re absolutely right. It is a non issue that ESPN, SNY, the Bloggers, the Post, etc, will all make it an issue. No fan would care. In fact, I’m more likely to activley boo a player like Culiver than an out and proud gay or bisexual player. Plain and simple/

5. Christian

February 8, 2013 at 10:14 am

Of course. Sad we aren’t past this yet and it’s still even up for a discussion. One day.

6. Ryan

February 8, 2013 at 10:17 am

I just have one problem with this article… Piazza was your favorite Met?! As a kid, I always wanted to be a catcher. I was a HUGE Todd Hundley fan and it was hard to see him get pushed out by Piazza’s arrival. BUT the part that really made me dislike him was his first at bat as a Met, soft liner to third/short, on his jog to First HE BLOWS A BUBBLE WITH HIS GUM. At just 12 years old, I was in the mindset that you gave everything to the game on every play. It was hard for me to like a guy like that- and I never really got over it.

• Michael Ganci

February 8, 2013 at 10:40 am

I was a huge Todd Hundley fan too! I actually cried when the Mets tried to shift him to lef field and replace him with Piazza! Funny stuff!

• Zach

February 8, 2013 at 11:38 am

idk man. a lot of players chew bubble gum while they play, so just calling piazza out on it isn’t right. i always remembered piazza as a hustler despite the fact that he didn’t have much speed. he was a great player who carried the mets lineup for a while. it’s a shame you remember him for that instance.

• Nick

February 8, 2013 at 11:58 am

Zach, I think Ryan’s poing was that Piazza actually took the time to blow a bubble while he was jogging to first base. Insinuating that blowing the bubble was an indication he wasn’t trying hard enough to reach the base. And, actually, I agree. If you’re running to 1st base (out or not) don’t blow a bubble. C’mon man. (huge Piazza fan btw)

• Eamonn

February 8, 2013 at 12:59 pm

If you correlate blowing a bubble with not hustling your an idiot.

• Tom

February 8, 2013 at 4:24 pm

*you’re

• Keith

February 9, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Would you rather he had a mouth full of chew? Does that mean he tried harder? It is silly to think he wasn’t trying hard because he blew a bubble. He was a relaxed type of player…that was his personality not his work ethic. He always wanted to win and always tried hard. Blowing a bubble has absolutely no meaning

7. Chris

February 8, 2013 at 10:17 am

We tried that once already, and it was a complete disaster. I can’t believe anyone would want another Bay on the Mets.

Oh, gay? Yeah, that’s fine.

• WHENSLY

February 8, 2013 at 10:21 am

that’s funny! The Bay- comment

• JPB

February 8, 2013 at 11:25 am

Congratulations, Chris. You win the thread!

8. Rob

February 8, 2013 at 10:22 am

Your article is offensive. I know many guy gays who are great people, If they can play ball who cares what they do in bed and with who.. You are nuts

• Mr.Metropolitan (@DannyDukesNJ)

February 8, 2013 at 10:38 am

Did you even read the article? The author said he WOULD support an openly gay player.

• Michael Ganci

February 8, 2013 at 10:41 am

@Rob- Like Mr. Metropolitan said, this article stresses acceptance. Thanks for reading! MG

9. chemteck29

February 8, 2013 at 10:27 am

As long as he knocks the cover off the ball and plays solid defense, I couldn’t care less about his sexual orientation! It’s should’nt be an issue period!

10. Tony

February 8, 2013 at 10:29 am

Can he play the outfield or close out a game? That’s all I care about.

11. Fred

February 8, 2013 at 10:29 am

I don’t care as long as its not in my face.

12. Nick from PA

February 8, 2013 at 10:31 am

Actually, science is doing a pretty good job of answering the nature/nurture part of it, and to call homosexuality merely a choice, at least for many people, is a serious mistake. Neurology, genetics, and hormones all point to significant-enough differences in homosexuals than heterosexuals. They “gay gene” replications haven’t had perfect results, but I think we can say with some degree of strength that many people are probably born with an attraction to the same sex “in” them. If the science isn’t adequate to satisfy some people, you could ask the simple question, “Can you choose to be homosexual?” Assuming the person is a heterosexual, there’s a good chance that the thought of the same sex in intimacy will be nauseating enough.

Given the above, treating homosexuality like adultery, and putting it in the moral realm, is seriously dangerous to the entire well-being of homosexuals (as they must loathe some of their most fundamental and unbreakable desires), and a serious discrimination with no rational basis. I believe that there are several gay players who are afraid to come out of the closet in all sports. And it is a really sad reality that it would divide them from their sports family–their teammates–and their fans. I wish that Piazza instead said that it was none of the NY Post’s business, and questioned their motive for wanting to know his sexuality.

• Tom

February 8, 2013 at 11:58 am

Even if Piazza asked that question to the media, it wouldn’t have mattered. Collectively speaking, journalists in the media aren’t expected to have a conscious nor the same human moral values as everyone else. They are free to be dirty and make a living off of misery in the same way private prisons do. This is their job. There are so many reporters that if all of them were doing good ethical work, there wouldn’t be anything left for the others to do. That is where things like TMZ or half the New York Post come in.

As for what you said regarding biology, it certainly is a partly true statement. But we can’t deny the nature of the social construction of homosexuality or heterosexuality for that matter. In not every human culture was there a male and female father and mother type nuclear family setting. Yet people would assume a mating bond biological insist in humans. It is still a social construction. The problem with the biological argument is that it indirectly says there would be something wrong with a socially constructed homosexual identity. You know how people say they wouldn’t want gays or lesbians adopting so their kids don’t become more likely to be gay? (which is accurately not true and slightly less likely, actually) The bigger question would be what is wrong if they did choose to be gay? People inherently try sidestepping those types of questions with other justifications which have truth, but aren’t challenging the overall ethical component.

• Tom

February 8, 2013 at 12:09 pm

But to add to your biological statement, if biologists can watch all sorts of animals such as turtles have homosexual sex for no reproductive reason, than it says something about humans too. Whether it be from a biological evolutionary perspective (which if it is denied outright by someone, it is hard to have an intelligent biological debate with someone who has no respect for the concept of the scientific method and falsfiability) or even the idea that a God, Gods or some creator created evolution, all creatures would trace common origin. And if a turtle were acting out of biological insinct, it could mean that human has such a biological instinct too. It gets more complicated than that though because when you take a certain type of species of turtles who do this, the prevalence of each participating in homosexual sex is very high, unlike humans. To insist that some humans carry such a gene says that only certain human inherit biological traits. This is generally not how biological traits get inherited. If we were to buy it the same context that we do turtles, the only argument that could be made is that humans have bisexual instincts in varying capacity, but have the free will to not act on it. While that truth in that the prevalence of thought is greater than action, most people do not have these thoughts, drives or biological insists. Not consciously anyway which raises a psychological discussion but drifts off beyond the reasonable space for this article.

I do like the biological argument though because it tends to mitigate the rigid binary, patriarchal and heavily western types of ways of discussing an issue. A debate usually occurs within the confines of those barriers amongst people from these backgrounds (myself included), which is often why these debates don’t progress quickly. The reality is though is that homosexuality is deep rooted in all practices in every human culture around the world, even if it is not known in the present way the west and to some the degree the world is not embracing it.

13. ManhattanMetsFan

February 8, 2013 at 10:37 am

Not an issue whatsoever. It wouldn’t change how I cheer (or boo) the guy. That said, Keith Hernandez has always pinged my gaydar :)

14. Carl

February 8, 2013 at 10:37 am

I would accept a gay player only if he helped my team win…. I don’t care for straight players who don’t help my team win either.

15. Mike

February 8, 2013 at 10:52 am

I’m a Mets fan; I don’t care if a guy is white, black, hispanic, straight, gay, Republican or Democrat. I’m cheering for my team to win. As long as they are decent human beings who do the right thing on the field and keep their personal lives and/or problems off the field I could care less.

16. Tommy Carlsson

February 8, 2013 at 10:53 am

A gay player in the Mets would of course be welcome. Has there ever been a major league player that was openly gay while still playing?

• Tommy Carlsson

February 8, 2013 at 11:26 am

How could I forget Glenn Burke…? Oh well. It’s been 34 years since he stopped playing, so I’d say the time is about right for the SECOND ever openly gay MLB dude. Like Luther said to the Warriors — come out and plaaaaaayyy… :)

17. Val Veeta

February 8, 2013 at 10:54 am

Since a certain percentage of the population is gay, the chances are that there have already been gay players on the Mets. (I can think of one extremely popular Met of yesteryear whose hair allegedly wasn’t the only flaming thing about him!) Society is much more accepting now, especially the youth, so I don’t think it would be a big deal. Sports are still waiting for the “Jackie Robinson ” gay pioneer, but it won’t be long.

18. Mark

February 8, 2013 at 11:14 am

It seems to me that when i hear “there is nothing wrong with beig Gay”. All I hear in my head is…There is nothing wrong with being a murder… There is nothing wrong with being a thief or commiting adultery. Now before you call me a Homophobe, a person committing a hate crime or whatever other ridiculous slur you want to try and intimidate me from speaking how i feal. These comments would be the furthest thing from the truth. God says that Man lying with Man and Woman with Woman is an abomination. God loves the sinner, but not the sin. He looks on a Murder to stop murdering an thief to stop being one a lier to stop doing it. And a Homosexual to stop practicing it. Think it’s wrong of God to ask this??? God was always in my life even when i was doing drugs, drinking, being a thief and committing adultery. Oh yah and being a lier. (Bearing false witness). I had to give those things up before i could come to God fully and be born again. He led me down that path and will any other person who wants true freedom and peace. God never said Sin was an easy thing to get over…..it’s not. It’s a constant struggle, too avoid Satan and Sin. But struggle and be with the Lord and he will bless you for it. Being here on this earth for such a short span of time…(75-85 yrs.) dealing with some struggles is like a blink of an eye compared to what God has in store for us in Heaven. So no I don’t hate Homosexuals and neither does God. But there is nothing right about practcing it at all.

• Beer Finger

February 8, 2013 at 11:26 am

Calling you a homophobe or a bigot is no more an “intimidation” than it is to call you a religious person. Both are just facts. If you feel intimidated by the facts, you should look inward. Not everyone bases their lives upon the same fairy tale you do, whatever that happens to be but my guess is some offshoot of Christianity since that seems to most often be filled with sanctimonious people like you. The bigotry that leads your life and provides your justification for judging other people was most likely invented a couple thousand ago by some tribesmen sitting around a campfire. Just because you’re either not smart enough or too weak to realize that it’s all a ridiculous pack of lies doesn’t mean the rest of us need to suffer.

• Jimithing

February 8, 2013 at 11:40 am

Everything about religion is a lie. And you need a spelling and grammar class

February 8, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Thanks your right about the spelling and grammer. I was never good at it. I envy people who are. What you choose to believe about God is your choice and you God given write to it. Have you tried to open God’s word and let it work in your life yet? I hope you do some day.

God Bless.

• Beer Finger

February 8, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Have you tried to become an intelligent sentient being and allowed science into your life? I hope you do some day.

May the force be with you.

February 8, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Actually Science was put there to enhance God’s word. Not go against it.

• Zach

February 8, 2013 at 11:47 am

Mark, I totally agree with you. That’s what I’ve always said to people. Homosexuality is a sin according to the Bible. Jesus loves homosexuals, but hates what they do. We all have stuff in our lives that isn’t right, and we’re gonna have to stand before the Lord with these burdens. And if God’s Word is a “fairy tale”, then how do we know that the scientists are able to prove that people are born this way? If someone was gay and proud of it, wouldn’t they want to admit that it was a choice and not act like it was something that God made happen to them? Just because he has different opinions doesn’t mean it’s “bigotry” and a “pack of lies” . we’re entitled to have whatever opinion we want just as homosexuals are aloud to take part in gay things…

• Luis V.

February 8, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Well who says everyone lives according to the bible??? And why do you two think comparing a gay person to a murderer makes sense? By the way, when exactly did God have this lengthy conversation with you?? Yes, I am judging your ignorance and 1950’s thinking. Join the 21st century already. This is the same closed minded thinking that would have kept permanently tanned men from playing the sport.

By the way, Rusty Staub played for the Mets and his team mates knew he was gay. Grow up homophobes…

February 8, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Your right I don’t think like this world thinks. I try my best to think how the Lord thinks. The Lord said he would be here soon and what signs to look for right before his coming. They are all around us.

• Beer Finger

February 8, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Here’s some other groups of people who use religion to justify their idiocy:

1. Westboro Baptist Church
            2. Terrorists

So, if you can equate homosexuals to murderers, then I can equate you with a terrorist.

February 8, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Your right. They are distorting God’s true meaning. They are hiding behind God’s word to hate people. It’s very wrong.

• Tom

February 8, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Look, everyone has their own religious beliefs and it is important for people to respect each other’s religious beliefs. But there are too many things most so called Christians do that contradict itself before homosexuality should even be a priority. Look at how many people are divorced. But “it’s okay”, I can just say I was “born again” and if I screw up again, I can say the same thing. And if I’m a supposed “devout” or religious Catholic (which seems to be nothing more than in name unless you’re a priest or nun anywhere this world, sadly), you can just confess the sins and go back into the same cycle of premarital sex, gambling and all that. No one says a Christian has to be perfect. But if a Christian willingly knowingly breaks a commandment such as having sex which is a process which takes multiple coherent states before it happens, it is contradicting for such a person to say they are Christian enough to judge or critique the actions of someone else.

More importantly, when we speak, there should be invisible quotation marks around the word God or Gods for that matter, because not all of us believe in “God”, nor “Gods”, ect. But just implicating the word “God” in the context such as “I’m sure God would want this…”, it is one imposing their beliefs on another. Without expressing neutrality in a conversation in that terminology, it imposes superiority of ones views over another, which as we learned in history is dangerous.

Now I know most people are Christian on here, in some capacity, whether in practice or title, but I’m happy to be a Mets fan versus say a Braves fan, for logical reasons. Having a fan base from a primarily liberal fan base is a lot more comfortable about this topic than other places.

February 8, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Thank You Zach. Your comments are a blessing. I’m not sure why God decided to use me as a voice about this today, but he did.

Praise God.

• Beer Finger

February 8, 2013 at 1:46 pm

lmfao… see this is what I’ve been talking about. You actually believe that there is an all-knowing being who gives a fuck what you or anyone else thinks and bothered to use YOU to spread that on some inconsequential online sports article comments section.

And you wonder why people are annoyed by you.

February 8, 2013 at 1:58 pm

God uses many people in places he see’s fit to use him. He speaks to them threw the Holy Spirit. He’d use you if you came to him. It’s such a blessing and an honor to speak for him.

• Aye

February 8, 2013 at 4:58 pm

You must be a troll. You really cannot believe all the garbage you are spewing. Youre not speaking anyone’s message but your own bigoted views. Grow up, Get with the century you live in, and learn to spell by the way its not “threw” its “through”

• mark

February 8, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Thanks for the spelling lezzon…lol I never was good at it. But I choose to be with God’s way of thinking not a group or a century’s way.

• Nick

February 8, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Mark, your entire argument is based off of your faith in the Christian religon. Your faith. Just because YOU believe every word in the Bible doesn’t mean it to be true. Just as every work in the Koran may/may not be true, etc. A relgious based argument, to me, is extremely flawed. I think it holds the same merit as this argument. I don’t care what you believe in, just don’t try to push it on to me. Just as we may not care what an openly gay athlete does, so long as he/she performs well on the field of play.

When it comes to religon, it’s all based on faith. Nobody knows what’s on the other side, if anything. But, you believe what you believe because of your faith. That, however, is an argument for another time. For now, lets all agree that in the year 2013 we would hope than an openly player could come out while he/she was still active in their respective sport. I, for one, want someone to step up and be that “Jackie Robinson” so we can get it out of the way already. We’re better than this and it’s time to move past it all.

February 8, 2013 at 1:33 pm

actually my Faith is based on things proven and things yet to be seen. The Bible is a History book. It was better preserved then the ones we studied in school. Christ was real. He was here. He healed thousands. That was real! I wish i had the time to show you all the real facts and proof of the Bible and it’s accounts being real. I don’t hate people for there sins. Why then does everyone think it’s ok to sling hateful comments to me just because i have a belief in God? Think about it.

• Nick

February 8, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I don’t hate you for having faith/belief in God. Quite the opposite. I think it’s admirable that you can have faith in God when God, itself, isn’t proven. And that’s not a knock on you, at all (honestly). Yes, Jesus was a real person who preached peace and understanding. That much we can agree upon. But, do you really think he walked on water? Do you really think Moses was able to part the Sea? The Bible, in my opinion, is half fact half fiction. I look at it as the telephone game. It’s been written and re-written several times until a common understanding was found. When that understanding was found, they printed the book in mass volumns. Not to mention how the Christain religon was forced upon the countries that were conquered. Pretty sure the Incas and Aztecs were doing just fine before Spain and England came calling.

• mark

February 8, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Yes I do believe everything in the Bible is true. Theres no question in my mind.

• Godless Met Fan

February 8, 2013 at 12:44 pm

If there’s one benefit to an openly gay player being on the Mets it’s that I won’t have to rub shoulders (ewww! gay!) with people like yourself at Citi Field. You’re free to have your bigoted beliefs, but don’t cry when people actually call you a bigot for having them. And if you’re going to use the bible as your source of morality, fair enough. It does indeed say homosexuality is an abomination and they should be murdered. However, it also says the following people should be killed: non-virgins on their wedding night (Deuteronomy 22:20-21), anyone that works on the Sabbath (Exodus 31:12-15), anyone that disobeys their preacher (Deuteronomy 17:12), disobedient kids (Leviticus 20:9) and MANY more. Also, let’s not forget about the parts of the bible forbidding the eating of shellfish (Leviticus 11:10), forbidding the mix of fabrics (Leviticus 19:19), being forced to marry your rapist (Deuteronomy 22:28-29), rules for how hard to beat your slaves (Exodus 21:20-21), etc. Either follow ALL of the bible or NONE of it. Stop cherry picking what’s convenient to you.

February 8, 2013 at 1:10 pm

I don’t eat things I’m not supose to….I do keep the Sabbath and I know of all the things you speak of in the Bible and believe in them. I’m not a bigot for expessing my beliefs in Gods word, and I have no intention of crying when someone calls me it. There are many things to discuss about the lessons in the Bible. I’m glad you know so much of it. I hope God opens your eyes and heart to them.

God Bless

• Godless Met Fan

February 8, 2013 at 1:31 pm

A bigot is defined as someone that is “one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance.” If you don’t see how comparing homosexuals with murderers makes you a bigot, you’re either in complete denial or not very bright.
          And please tell me which one of those rules you specifically follow – do you eat shellfish? Do you wear mixed fabrics? Do you believe rape victims should be forced to marry their rapists? Don’t just give me a general “I know of all things you speak of and I believe in them.”

I hope science opens your eyes to the beauty of the actual world. Darwin Bless.

February 8, 2013 at 1:48 pm

You seem to know so much about the Bible? How come you don’t defend it?

• Beer Finger

February 8, 2013 at 12:54 pm

“It seems to me that when i hear “there is nothing wrong with beig Gay”. All I hear in my head is…There is nothing wrong with being a murder… There is nothing wrong with being a thief or commiting adultery. Now before you call me a Homophobe, a person committing a hate crime or whatever other ridiculous slur you want to try and intimidate me from speaking how i feal.”

Only religious people are capable of being this mind-bogglingly self righteous. You barely finish equating homosexuals with murderers before you accuse other people of calling you a slur when they say you’re a homophobe. Everything is about YOU, isn’t it? You never consider what your words may do to others, only how YOU might be affected.

Get over yourself.

February 8, 2013 at 1:05 pm

OK, you’re a homophobe.

Being homosexual isn’t killing anyone (although bigots like you might kill them), and adultery is NOT AGAINST THE LAW. Because we don’t consult the Big Book of Bronze Age Fiction for our laws.

February 8, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Sorry, I replied to the wrong person. My apologies.

February 8, 2013 at 1:15 pm

no problem

• Beer Finger

February 8, 2013 at 1:20 pm

lol.. Mark, he was replying to YOU and apologizing to ME… dumbass

February 8, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Actually it’s not about me at all. You said “Only religious people are capable of being this mind-bogglingly self righteous”. We are not. We are Christ minded. Were not perfect without flaw. We make mistakes like everyone else. Why is it when we speak of good and moral things people freak out with real hate comments??? You said “You barely finish equating homosexuals with murderers”. I never equated one with the other. I stated That God hates all Sin….Not the sinner.

• Beer Finger

February 8, 2013 at 1:39 pm

“Why is it when we speak of good and moral things people freak out with real hate comments???” Because of the WAY you do it. No one likes a sanctimonious shit head. It’s annoying. And proselytizing doesn’t help either. You think you’ve got this exclusive direct line to morality when in reality you’re just blindly following some fairy tale you were taught as a child. In reality, your whole life is based on circumstance and chance. If you had been born in the middle east you’d be muslim or jewish.

Also, because you go and say shit like ““It seems to me that when i hear ‘there is nothing wrong with beig Gay’. All I hear in my head is…There is nothing wrong with being a murder…” and then have the balls to deny you equated homosexuals to murderers. As if we’re all just drooling fucking neanderthals like you who can be convinced to not see what’s obvious just because someone else said so.

February 8, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I hope someday God touches your life Brother.

God Bless.

• Beer Finger

February 8, 2013 at 1:51 pm

And I hope that some day you come to the realization that you’re a sheep drinking the kool-aid and you find science. I hope you see the hypocrisy in almost everything you believe, not the least of which is why did god create homosexuals if he hates them so much?

May the force be with you.

February 8, 2013 at 1:55 pm

God never created Gay people. Sin allowed it to happen. Everyone says God Created all things. Well that’s true, but Satan distorted all things. Give the true credit where it belongs. We all suffer from Sin and he is responsible for it.

• TomsRiverTom

February 8, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I find it both humorous and sad when people try to use their favorite Bible verse to support a point of view. You can find almost anything you want, contradictions and confusion, just by searching for it. The Bible was written by many people, often about things that had happened hundreds of years ago.
            Mark, I quote you Matthew 18:9 “And if your eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell.” If you EVER looked at someone and thought to yourself “Wow, he or he is hot!” I will expect to see you wearing an eye patch. You can’t argue, its in the Bible.

• mark

February 8, 2013 at 4:42 pm

You know when i 1st became a christian there were so many sayings in the Bible i couldn’t understand…That was one of them. And that verse was to point out the seriousness of sin. Not to actually do it. You know i am being tought not to look at other woman by the Lord. It’s not easy. But as he points out in other teachings, it will help us to appriciate our wives and not wish too be with other woman by fantasizing about them.

• Aye

February 8, 2013 at 5:06 pm

mark you are a tool. The Bible is a fiction book created by very intelligent people to keep control over mankind. Religion and “faith in god” has been used over and over throughout history to oppress people and discriminate against them because they are “sinners”. Christians have persecuted people in the name of religion. Women weren’t allowed to vote, Blacks had to be segregated. Even in your history book, WOMAN was created from the RIB of a man. Therefore there immediately it placed women in an inferior position. Women were men’s property. She tempted man, and according to the fable men are so stupid that werent able to resist a womans temptation and they cursed the entire world. The bible is nothing more than a sexist, oppressive book.. You are just like every other christian out there who uses religion to justify their bigotry. You claim you are not a big yet you compared loving people of the same sex to people committing murder because the bible told you so.

The only reason that you claim loving people of the same sex is wrong is BECAUSE YOU SAID SO!!!!

• mark

February 8, 2013 at 5:25 pm

no it’s becase God says so.

• Aye

February 8, 2013 at 5:28 pm

You need to rephrase that to ‘My god’ says so. Therefore. You said so. Not everyone believes in “your god” Mark…Luckily

• mark

February 8, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Your right not everyone believes in God. As a matter of Fact there are so few of us left. But still and all, I do. Hope you see your way too him someday. (Waiting for the grammer lesson)?

• Aye

February 8, 2013 at 5:35 pm

You still dont get it. Not everyone believes in YOUR god. Its not that they dont believe in “god” Its that they dont believe in your warped version of him/she/it

• mark

February 8, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Yes I do get it. I base my conclussions on the Bible. God’s true word. And yes i do get it that other people don’t. I know and believe when God says that this is his word and instruction for us on how to live our lives, that that’s what I will do. You have 2 choices…God or Satan. There is no gray area. If you choice niether then you choice Satan by defalt. I truly hope you dig deep into his word some day. I hope you feel the joy and excitement of the Holy Spirit welling up inside you. It changed me so much.

God Bless.

February 8, 2013 at 6:44 pm

You assume god said so. But your basis is the bible, which was written by humans.

• mark

February 8, 2013 at 6:50 pm

all Scripture in the Bible is written by men and inspired by the Holy Spirit.

February 8, 2013 at 6:51 pm

How do you know it is inspired by the Holy Spirit? Humans are the ones that told you this.

• mark

February 8, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Because of the things that came true in the Bible threw Prophecy. Men can’t make those things happen only God can. My Faith is proven on unseen things as well as prove things. Go to Amazingfacts.org and inroll in the Bible Studies. You will be amazed at the truths of God’s word.

February 8, 2013 at 8:58 pm

And who told you that prophecies came true?
            humans

February 8, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I have studied the bible, which is why I no longer believe. That site you posted is about one of the dumbest on the internet

• Aye

February 8, 2013 at 7:37 pm

So now they come from a website. Wow, I just have a hard time believing a person like you does exist.

February 8, 2013 at 1:08 pm

OK, you’re a homophobe.

Being homosexual isn’t killing anyone (although bigots like you might kill them), and adultery is NOT AGAINST THE LAW. Because we don’t consult the Big Book of Bronze Age Attrocities for our laws.

February 8, 2013 at 1:13 pm

The only true Law is the Law of God. It’s his true Character. It’s what all our Law’s were based on years ago, and still should be today.

February 8, 2013 at 3:21 pm

No, our laws are NOT based on the bible, and NEVER HAVE BEEN.

If fact, our Constitution forbids it.

• mark

February 8, 2013 at 4:43 pm

actually your wrong about that. Most of our Laws were set up by Moses.

February 8, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Nope, Sorry, the Code of Hammurabi predates Moses by several centuries. And very few things in the Bible’s laws are actually civil laws. And all of those are laws even in societies that aren’t heavily entrenched in the Abrahamic traditions.

You are 100% wrong.

February 8, 2013 at 5:01 pm

I may have mis spoke. Need to do reserch. Thanks for the info. My point is though our Laws really come from God. He set up the right and wrongs since the Garden…..And yes I believe in Adam and Eve.

February 8, 2013 at 6:40 pm

No, laws do no come from god, either. Do you think trade laws, banking laws, labor laws and food safety laws from from god?

No, They came from humans.

• mark

February 8, 2013 at 6:52 pm

actually yes they do. God set the Laws for what to eat how to act how to treat people in all ways. Those are the very foundation of all our laws.

February 8, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Not even close, oh deluded one.

Read some other books besides the Big Book of Bronze Age Attrocities

• Lucky Lefty Art (@DAVEKUSH)

February 8, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Mark-“Being a murder”? You’re an idiot, both for your lack of grammar and for your worldview.

February 8, 2013 at 1:14 pm

This is all you can come up with??? My spelling? Why not talk about the real subject at hand?

• Beer Finger

February 8, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Because that would be like indulging a child in an argument about who the best power ranger is

February 8, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Your choice.

God Bless.

• NP1511

February 8, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Having an imaginary “god” friend based on a work of fiction “bible” isn’t bad, but I do hate what you say…

February 8, 2013 at 1:52 pm

All comments to me except one has been hateful. Mine have not been. Why so hateful??? Think about it.

• JJ

February 8, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Like most christians you probably have never seen a bible outside of church otherwise you would know your “god” never even mentions homosexuality. While your “good book” does ban it here are some other things it bans:
      Round haircuts
      Shaving
      Football
      Eating pork
      Eating shellfish
      Poly/cotton blend
      Tattoos
      Divorce
      Wearing gold
      and here is my favorite, a woman telling a man what to do!

Its all a bunch of silly nonsense.
      I think Morgan Freeman said it best
      “I hate the word homophobia. It’s not a phobia. You are not scared. You are an asshole.”

• mark

February 8, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I’ve seen read live By my Bible.

• JJ

February 8, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Do you partake in any of these activates? Better make sure your shirt is %100 cotton!

19. Beer Finger

February 8, 2013 at 11:18 am

It’s not my or anyone else’s place to “accept” the details of anyone else’s private lives. What kind of arrogant person thinks he/she has the right to judge an athlete for this? It’s none of my business or anyone else’s, nor do I care one iota. Just as I don’t care what their religion is (if any). My only concern starts and ends with what they do on the field. Beyond that, they are free to live their lives as they see fit. The fact that this article was even written is insulting to the human race and sad evidence that we’ve got a long way to go if we think this is even a subject that needs discussing.

• Luis V.

February 8, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Excellent response.

• Aye

February 8, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Thank you. You get it.

20. J Gipe

February 8, 2013 at 11:20 am

An openly gay player would be a huge issue in an MLB clubhouse. It would be divisive and many of the players would not accept him. If you think clubhouse unity is important, then an openly gay player would be an issue. I personally would not have a problem with a gay teammate, but I’m not a major league baseball player.

• Beer Finger

February 8, 2013 at 11:27 am

This is the same kind of bullshit excuse they said when the north tried to free the slaves. Or when women tried to be allowed to join the military.

• JPB

February 8, 2013 at 11:27 am

“An black player would be a huge issue in an MLB clubhouse. It would be divisive and many of the players would not accept him. If you think clubhouse unity is important, then a black player would be an issue.”

— said by pretty much everyone in baseball leadership up to the mid-1940s.

• Beer Finger

February 8, 2013 at 11:31 am

Right, exactly JPB. It’s amazing how some people just keep making the same mistakes over and over again. If another player has an issue with him for being gay, tough shit. If the gay player is better, get over it or get off the team.

21. JPB

February 8, 2013 at 11:23 am

It depends.

Can he play the outfield? Can he hit 30+ home runs a year? if he’s a pitcher, can he bring us 10-15 wins? or 20 or more saves?

If any of those are yes, then HELL yes, I’d accept him.

If he’s yet another overpaid prima donna or PED abusing idiot, then gay or not, I really don’t want him.

• Van

February 8, 2013 at 11:58 am

pretty much how I feel about it. Call it the Lesbian Eskimo theorem.

I will say though that, similar to when Jackie started, to expect a level of taunting from the other team’s fans (if not their own) well beyond what most guys have to put up with.

22. Anti-Anti Intellectual1

February 8, 2013 at 11:27 am

My acceptance of a baseball player is more based, in the words of Norm Peterson, on what you do, not who you do.

An anti-gay bigot? That I couldn’t accept.

23. Luis V.

February 8, 2013 at 11:48 am

His name is Rusty Staub people.

24. Baudi (@PickBaudisBrain)

February 8, 2013 at 12:01 pm

I could care less if EVERY player on the Mets was gay as long as they could win games!

25. The Coop

February 8, 2013 at 12:16 pm

To me, the question is moot. Not to say the discussion isn’t important – it is. But asking **me** if I would accept a Mets player if he were to be gay is like asking me if I would accept a player if he had blue eyes or blond hair or if he was Colombian or South African or whatever. But that’s just me – I’m a proud supporter of the LGBT community and would accept with open arms any baseball player — or any member of the sports teams I root for — who was comfortable enough to open to discussion.

The real question is, would the players accept?…and we all know, sports guy aren’t necessarily the most intellectual of the bunch. And many of them (any sport, not just baseball) do give into misogynistic stereotypes, not just womanizing, but objectification. My philosophy is that the players — MALE players — are worried about being objectified.

To me, the question isn’t about me. As the rumor has it, a fan favorite of many generations ago (and current) is gay. I don’t think any of the fans would think less of him if he “came out.” It’s the players and how they welcome said player.

Ralph Branca and Duke Snider stood up for Jackie Robinson when he was excluded from some of the good ol’ boys on the Brooklyn Dodgers. And Branch Rickey was smart enough to get rid of those players when the time came. Ultimately, they came together to win. Being gay is not the issue, IMO…it’s the acceptance by his peers. Like I said, this is less of a question for fans as it is for the players, and whether their biases would cause conflict. And as we’ve seen just recently, they would.

26. Richard

February 8, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Of course. None of my business, couldn’t care less.

27. George

February 8, 2013 at 12:31 pm

That this is even a question is offensive. Wake up people it is 2013.

28. Tcj

February 8, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Who cares if a guy is pitchin or catchin as long as he’s hitting

29. DieHardMets

February 8, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I actually think its less an issue of society accepting an openly gay player, and more about the organization: coaches, players, etc and how having an openly gay player in the locker room could potentially affect the chemistry of the team. A friend of mine who is openly gay was a pitcher in the farm system of a major league team (not going to mention which one because I have no interest in creating an “issue” here) and he was advised by coaches and managers to keep it to himself so as not to cause any possible disturbance with the rest of the team.

Ultimately, this ended up being a big enough issue that he quit professional baseball despite having a lot of promise to reach the majors in a relief capacity (97 – 98 mph fastball).

Its a tough issue. Clubhouse chemistry is hugely important to the success of a team so I understand wanting to keep that chemistry strong. The sad thing is the notion that a players sexuality could realistically affect that chemistry in such an adverse way. As an openly gay and extremely avid baseball and mets fan, I hope this is an issue that can become less of an issue so teams can focus on the best talent and not social obstacles like this, but simply because of the “boys club” mentality most professional sports organizations tend to have, I think we are still a ways away from this.

So…basically, I think fans and society are ready to accept an openly gay player (maybe even embrace a talented, successful, gay player) but the organizations are not ready to deal with it. Hopefully that changes soon.

30. Pat

February 8, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I could care less if their gay, strait or transgender or whatever. I don’t care if they think their an inflatable zebra!!! WS rings are all that matters. If we have championships nothing else matters. If Johan Santana comes out and says he thinks he’s a 7ft tall african gymnist and then pitches another no hitter so be it!

31. The Irish American Catholic Mets' Fan

February 8, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Jackie Robinson was supposed to disrupt the Brooklyn Dodgers’ clubhouse…and at first he did. A few of the players circulated a petition in spring training that said they would not play with an African-American teammate. A few months later, before a game in Philadelphia, a bunch of Phillies were standing around the batting cage while Robinson took BP and started calling him all kinds of vile things (geez, even then they were jerks). Dodger Eddie Stanky told them “listen you yellow-bellied *&&^%, why don’t you pick on someone who can answer back?” The Phillies backed down. “The Brat” had been one of the guys behind the petition.

What happened to change his mind?

Robinson happened. He quickly and clearly proved he could play and help them win. If he could play and help them win, nothing else mattered. So it has always been and always will be in baseball. You think anyone in his right mind is going to shun a gay guy if he wins 20 games? You think someone in that clubhouse is going to say “sorry, I just can’t play with a guy who has sex with men, now take your 40 home runs and 120 RBIs and get lost?” If some right-wing pseudo-Christian twit decides to condemn a gay centerfielder with a Gold Glove and a .300 batting average, that pseudo-Christian twit better be hitting .350 or he’ll find himself on another time mighty quick. In the Mets’ case, I think that would be especially true with the cool-handed sentiment-free Sandy Alderson running the show. Maybe Sandy finds homosexuality objectionable. Maybe he doesn’t. I’d bet the house he cares a lot more about building a winner. Just another reason to like him.

Guys will accept anyone who can help them win. I would like to believe we Mets’ fans would be the same way. Think about what’s good for the team.

Oh and that whole business involving us becoming a more just and loving society that sees differences as a strength and not a weakness would be pretty good too.

And I’ll tell you right now: I’ve never been kicked out of a sporting event, but chances are I would no longer be able to say that if say, during a subway series game, some Yankees’ fan called any openly gay Met player a f—got or something equally backward. A Rockies’ fan does it, I’ll just get into a shouting match. A Yankees’ fan does it, I would actually fight. And lose probably, but still fight.

32. Seth Rubin

February 8, 2013 at 2:11 pm

If the player is gay, I just hope he keeps it to himself. If he comes out of the closet, then I hope he uses a private shower/locker room. I find that behavior abhorrent, but I don’t care, I just don’t want to see it written all over the players demeanor. Please keep your deviancies to yourself, as we all do (except gays, now)/

• George

February 8, 2013 at 3:50 pm

You are awful bro.

• Aye

February 8, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Yes, Because every person who loves people of the same sex wants to have sex with everyone who is simply of the same sex. I guess by the same token, if you are “straight” you must want to be with every woman you meet on the street

• Godless Met Fan

February 8, 2013 at 6:20 pm

You’ve shared a bathroom or a locker room many times in your life with a gay man whether you’ve known it or not. Somehow you’ve survived unscathed. By complaining about this you’re only revealing your own insecurities.

33. Pingback: My Beloved Mets – Would you accept a Mets player who was gay?

34. jc

February 8, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Homosexuality isn’t a “lifestyle”.

35. openmind6

February 8, 2013 at 4:29 pm

“I don’t care as long as its not in my face”
    It sure sounds like you care based on this statement. What exactly would be in your face, a penis?

36. Rocco Gandy

February 8, 2013 at 4:37 pm

My personal feelings about Homosexuality would not stop me from cheering for a Gay player. My personal feelings about marital infidelity would not stop me from cheering for a player cheating on his wife.
    All players should be judged for their on field play and not the choices they make.

37. Aye

February 8, 2013 at 4:49 pm

I have no problem with you writing an article about the acceptance of a gay player in baseball. What I do have a problem is the ignorant views that you are expressing
    “It is a lifestyle that over the past twenty years has become more accepted in society, and yet still has roadblocks to it being fully accepted”

First of all let me educate you that there is no such thing as a “gay person’. We are ALL Individuals, created equal with differences which makes us different, however labels are placed by society to discriminate and separate people.

Second, As an individual with loving preferences towards people of my own sex, I am deeply offended. Loving people of the same sex is NOT a lifestyle. It is this antiquated view that permeates in society which causes DIVISION and DISCRIMINATION AND MISUNDERSTANDING. It just means that I love people of my own sex. In fact I love everyone, just romantically I connect with people of my own sex better.

You wouldnt call being straight a “lifestyle” would you?

A lifestyle would be someone who choses the lifestyle of say selling drugs….being a thug….belonging to witchcraft or a cult….

You are basically implying that individuals choose to be this way. Youre wrong. If youre going to write an article about the inclusion of people, perhaps you shouldnt use such divisive words.

February 8, 2013 at 4:54 pm

A few things. I agree with you that gay is not a “lifestyle”. Lifestyles are things we choose, and homosexuality is not a choice, it’s simply an attribute based on where someone is on the sexual spectrum.
      But as to their being no “gay people”, I have many friends that identify as “gay” who would disagree. If you feel otherwise, then I would not refer to you in that way; I have no desire to label people, esp. not in ways to which they object.

But “deeply offended”? Really? The author isn’t hurt people, attacking them or condemning them for how they were born. “deeply offended” should be reserved for things that actual bigots do and say. Stop looking for things to be offended by. It’s puerile. There are already plenty things in life to legitimately get upset about.

• Aye

February 8, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Im not looking for any reasons to be offended. If you dont endure discrimination, you do not know what its like. The whole lifestyle thing is one of the main reasons why there is discrimination towards the gay community. Because a lot of people state that being gay is a deviant lifestyle that we choose and we have control over it. I have heard it over and over and over throughout my life. That we are some kind of subculture. We are not. We are people like everyone else. We are not a lifestyle. And people use this to discriminate

But unless you are “gay” yourself, you wouldnt know.

• Aye

February 8, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Plus the author states “It is a lifestyle”…not “It is my personal belief that it is a lifestyle”. He states it like its an absolute truth and a fact.

February 8, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Then he’s ignorant. Educate him. Inform him. But the “deeply offended” but is WAY over the top.

February 8, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Are you saying now that only homosexuals face discrimination? Sorry, but that’s bullshit.

I’m black, and MILITANTLY pro-gay rights, so stuff your sanctimony and self-absorbed attitude.

• aye

February 8, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Unless you have experienced discrimination due to your sexual orientation you wouldnt understand. I never said anything about other forma of discrimination. Would you not be offended if the author stated that being black is a choice? I am sure you would. Then again he wouldnt because its in the color of your skin, but when it comes to fucking, you can choose who you screwad scoiety is finally accepting thia lifestyle. Once again…if you arwnt “gay” you cant understand why its offensive

February 8, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Not if he hadn’t intended to. And clearly, he didn’t. You’re just being a douchebag.

Again, inform him, educate him. Maybe even ask him what he meant. I’d bet he wasn’t trying to say you could choose not to be gay.

• aye

February 8, 2013 at 7:15 pm

I give up trying to explain this to you. You dont get it. You might be black and advocate supporter of the gay community with tons of gay friends….but you are not “gay”. You do not know what its like. Implying that it is a choice and posting a ridiculous question such as would you accept a mets gay player is just absurd. Its like asking would you accept a muslim playing for your team. You are being super divisive and perpetuating the notion That not everyone is equal therefore we need to accept them. There is nothing to accept. We are all human

February 8, 2013 at 9:02 pm

And you don’t know what it is like to be black, so stick your sanctimony where the sun doesn’t shine.
            “You are being super divisive and perpetuating the notion That not everyone is equal therefore we need to accept them. ”

Uh no, not in the least. I didn’t say that he said it right, I said rather than get in a tizzy, educate him. Douchebag.

February 8, 2013 at 9:05 pm

“posting a ridiculous question such as would you accept a mets gay player is just absurd”

Hey, dumbass, his question is not an indictment of gay people, but rather on our society that is still homophobic. And guess what? We DID ask ourselves if America was “ready for a black president”, not that long ago. I was angry that the question needed to be asked, not that it was asked. The distinction between the two is HUGE, but you are too dumb to understand the difference.

And what are you doing for the gay community? I’ve made YouTube videos defending gay marriage and other gay rights. I’ve donated money. I’ve donate time. What have you done, besides act like an immature prat?

• Aye

February 8, 2013 at 9:21 pm

The only douche here is you

a) insulting people
            b) you still have no idea what you are talking about
            c) I wasnt the only person offended at the question being asked
            d) I have every right in the world to be offended or to feel a certain way and you have no right to question me or insult me based on it.
            e) you dont know me, you dont know my story, you dont know anything about me
            f) he sent me a private message and apologized by the way, which I kindly appreciated.
            g) you still have ZERO idea what you are talking about since once again, you are not “gay”

H) I am not a douchebag, nor a male. If youre gonna insult, fix your insults to gender appropiate ones

February 8, 2013 at 9:52 pm

“I have every right in the world to be offended”

That’s right, you have the right to behave as stupidly as you like, and I have every right to tell you I think you’re wrong.

• Eric

February 9, 2013 at 6:02 am

As someone who also is romantic with/attracted to people of the same sex and also a huge mets fan I have to disagree with your sentiment about the author. Gay is a very commonly used term both by gay and straight people to refer to men and/or women who have sex with the same sex. I’m gay and most gay men would say you are too.

I don’t take ANY offense to the term “lifestyle” because it is a lifestyle. The style of life in which one has sexual/romantic with people of the same sex instead of people with the opposite sex. No where does lifestyle imply that it must be a choice to live that way.

Sure there are some awkwardly phrased sentiments in the article but overall the authors intent shines through.

38. Bob

February 8, 2013 at 5:14 pm

You mean just putting on a Mets jersey doesn’t automatically make you gay?

39. openmind6

February 8, 2013 at 5:41 pm

“I don’t care as long as its not in my face”

40. matt paneno

February 8, 2013 at 6:16 pm

fools, there have been gay players in baseball, just not ‘out’.
    and i can think of a couple of former mets who were gay, and their teammates knew and were supportive.
    media blows that entire issue out of proportion and an openly gay player today would be mercilously hounded and followed and would make the jackie robinson experience seem like a walk in the park.
    why would anyone play that ‘let me be the first’ crap and expose themselves to such abuse, and intrusion and harrassment?
    live and let live. but, in this crap pop culture, living your life with dignity and a measure of peace is not allowed. tmz, and all the chics sitting around a table would have hours of ‘hot topic’ material.
    forget that, i’ll lay low and live my life.

41. Pingback: My Beloved Mets – Slow News Day, Vol. III: Possibly the dumbest question I’ve ever seen asked on a Mets-related blog. Would you accept a Mets player that was gay?

Talk To The Stache