- Ganci’s Birthday Mets Wish ListPosted 1 day ago
- Pitching Depth is Never BadPosted 2 days ago
- Is King Kang Coming to Queens?Posted 3 days ago
- Santa Claus Descends Upon Citi FieldPosted 4 days ago
- Just in Case You Forgot How Awesome Matt Harvey isPosted 7 days ago
- With Wilpons, Mets Will Continue to Fall ShortPosted 1 week ago
- Roberto Clemente: Mr. 3,000 Against the MetsPosted 3 months ago
- The End of An Era in NYPosted 3 months ago
- GIF: Marlins OF Marcel Ozuna Throws Ball Into Own Dugout Against MetsPosted 4 months ago
- #MetsTwitterRecap: PhiLOLiesPosted 4 months ago
Are the Mets Lacking in Depth?
- Updated: February 19, 2013
Anything can happen in sports, and it’s hard to prepare for the unpredictable, but the Mets are vulnerable, not only in their thin outfield, but at other positions as well. Let’s take a closer look.
3B: David Wright
Wright is obviously the backbone of the Mets’ clubhouse. He’s the longest tenured player, and the Mets showed a commitment to him by locking him up to a long-term deal. But, if he were to get hurt, there’s no much behind him. Sure, Justin Turner could fill in or maybe Zach Lutz could be called up, but there aren’t many options if a long-term fix is needed.
SS: Ruben Tejada
Another guy who is solidified as a major part of the Mets’ future. He showed much more skills at the plate last year than anyone could have expected, and his defense will only improve. Behind him? Turner fits here as well, as does the returning Omar Quintanilla. As for the minors, Wilmer Flores may not be ready should such a situation arise.
1B: Ike Davis
Remember when David and Wright collided? Also, do you remember how Davis had Valley Fever? Whether you want to admit it or not, there are risks associated with the Mets’ bopper, and if he were to go down, who’s left? Daniel Murphy has experience at first, but that creates a hole at second. Justin Turner could fill in some there as well. Beyond that? Your guess is as good as mine.
What do you think about the Mets’ depth? Tell us in the comments section below.