- David Shows Why He’s The CaptainPosted 7 hours ago
- Mets Doing Radio Fans a DisservicePosted 12 hours ago
- Mets to Welcome Families of Slain NYPD OfficersPosted 15 hours ago
- Nine Innings with Anthony McCarronPosted 17 hours ago
- Which Mets Player Has the Most Pressure to Perform?Posted 2 days ago
- Nine Innings with Mike VaccaroPosted 2 days ago
- Gavin Cecchini: Can’t Wait to Help Bring Title to NYPosted 3 days ago
- Nine Innings with Steve GelbsPosted 3 days ago
- Wright to Team: Stop Talking and Start DoingPosted 3 days ago
- Lucas Duda’s Minor InjuryPosted 3 days ago
Are the Mets Lacking in Depth?
- Updated: February 19, 2013
Anything can happen in sports, and it’s hard to prepare for the unpredictable, but the Mets are vulnerable, not only in their thin outfield, but at other positions as well. Let’s take a closer look.
3B: David Wright
Wright is obviously the backbone of the Mets’ clubhouse. He’s the longest tenured player, and the Mets showed a commitment to him by locking him up to a long-term deal. But, if he were to get hurt, there’s no much behind him. Sure, Justin Turner could fill in or maybe Zach Lutz could be called up, but there aren’t many options if a long-term fix is needed.
SS: Ruben Tejada
Another guy who is solidified as a major part of the Mets’ future. He showed much more skills at the plate last year than anyone could have expected, and his defense will only improve. Behind him? Turner fits here as well, as does the returning Omar Quintanilla. As for the minors, Wilmer Flores may not be ready should such a situation arise.
1B: Ike Davis
Remember when David and Wright collided? Also, do you remember how Davis had Valley Fever? Whether you want to admit it or not, there are risks associated with the Mets’ bopper, and if he were to go down, who’s left? Daniel Murphy has experience at first, but that creates a hole at second. Justin Turner could fill in some there as well. Beyond that? Your guess is as good as mine.
What do you think about the Mets’ depth? Tell us in the comments section below.